402 Roper Mountain Road, Greenville, SC 29615
Returning for the fourth year on Tuesday, June 11, is the ever-popular Butterfly Adventure, featuring a unique experience as hundreds of butterflies surround visitors within the natural rainforest habitat at Roper Mountain Science Center.
Butterfly Adventure provides guests the opportunity to interact with hundreds of native butterflies as they flutter, dip and soar around the tropical foliage.Dozens of hands-on activities and adventure around the lower part of the mountain await. A sampling of happenings for visitors of ALL ages include:
- Explore the fascinating life cycle of butterflies and caterpillars while observing them progressing through their various stages of transformation, and discover other unique insects in the Rainforest Classroom
- Interact with a variety of live animals including snakes, lizards, and much more while learning about South Carolina habitats
- Create a number of make-and-take butterfly crafts
- Become immersed in mysterious worlds through Virtual Reality explorations in the Paleo and Marine Labs
- Discover the importance of our oceans and interact with marine animals while visiting the Marine Lab Aquariums and Touch Tanks
- Contribute to the Pollinator Mobile art installation
- Design and test a butterfly in the Ecology Lab Wind Tunnels
- Take a break outdoors in the fun and shaded WildWood play area
- Wander through the beautiful outdoor Butterfly Garden and Arboretum
- Be challenged in special Breakout Games on Fridays and Saturdays
- Partake in Cockroach Races and Eat-a-Bug Club Special Events on Saturdays
- Travel back in time and explore the buildings and gardens of the Living History Farm and participate in a variety of family-friendly activities, including panning for gems
Butterfly Adventure is open from June 11 until July 12, Tuesdays through Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., closed only on the 4th of July.