Since the franchise first joined the NFL 25 years ago, the Carolina Panthers have held their training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg. They say all good things must come to an end—and whether that’s true or not, this is one good thing that will likely be coming to an end in the near future. No doubt you’ve heard plenty about how the South Carolina legislature worked hard to convince the Panthers’ new owner, David Tepper, to build a new training facility in Rock Hill. That likely means in the future you may have to drive a little further for Panther training camp, but the team will continue to be the team for both Carolinas beyond 2019.
But for this summer, you can still see the Panthers here in the Upstate at Wofford College’s Gibbs Field.
Starting on July 25th with a kickoff party and culminating with joint practice with the Buffalo Bills on August 13th-and 14th, there will be plenty of opportunity for fans to see the team up close on the training field—and July 26th–28th and August 4th are Panthers Pals days, where young fans can have their photos taken with their favorite Panthers. Click here for the full schedule of training dates.
Away from the training field, there are other events at local businesses during the training camp days to commemorate the 25th year.
- A Panthers Training Camp Kick-off Party at the Spartanburg Marriott on July 25th will offer discounts on food and beverages to fans in Panthers gear, Panther-themed cocktails, outdoor games, and official NFL giveaways.
- On the 26th, there’s another party—the Upstate Riot Training Camp Welcome Party at the FR8yard, with food, drinks, and entertainment for Panthers fans.
- On Saturday, July 27th, start your morning (7:45-8:30) with Breakfast at Bo’s with fellow fans and the Roaring Riot crew—and come early for free biscuits and coffee!
- A Training Camp Tailgate Party & Cornhole will be held at Ciclops Cydery and Brewery on August 4th from noon to 2:00 p.m.—drinks, cornhole, and a 2020 Roaring Riot membership as a prize for whoever can beat Zack in cornhole.
- On August 13th, Josh and Zack from the Roaring Riot are hosting three rounds of Panthers Trivia at the Growler Haus, with bar gift certificates and Roaring Riot prizes awarded to the top 3 teams.
by Sharon Purvis